Dogs when affected with dandruff or dry skin issues often become inactive and scratch a lot. Though it may seem like a temporary issue, when untreated, it can lead to serious issues causing bald patches. Not every dog shampoo that we find in the market will help tackle the dry skin issue or dry flakes that lead to dandruff. It is important to understand the underlying cause that lead to dandruff in your pet dog. The underlying issue can be anything from a pollen allergy or fungal infection to weather changes. When you have found the cause, you can look for best dog shampoo for dandruff that has ingredients specifically to treat it.
Some of the dog dandruff shampoo can contain chemical agents and some will have only natural ingredients. Finding what suits your dog’s skin type is crucial to find solutions that can ease the dry flakes forever.
Best Dog Shampoo For Dandruff
When it comes to dog shampoo for dandruff, you will find plenty of brands available in the market. Rather than focusing on the price factor and popularity, it is necessary to look for specific products that specialize in treating your dog dry skin issue and dandruff overall. We as experts in reviewing pet care especially dog shampoos for while, about to cite the reasons why your dog gets dandruff issues, signs and symptoms, what to look for in a dog dandruff shampoo and finally list down some of the best dog dandruff shampoos available in the market for you to make informed decisions.
Treating your dog for dandruff at an early stage needs careful attention. It can be done by identifying some of the common signs and symptoms related to dog dandruff. Sometimes, it might take long for your dog to react to some allergens or chemical agents used in food. By that time, the condition would turn from bad to worse causing serious fur loss and bald patches. It can even make them scratch a lot than usual leading to redness and bumps all over the affected skin areas. Below are some of the sign and symptoms that you should be aware of:
- Constant Scratching: If your dog constantly scratches or bites itself, it is a sign that it suffers from dry skin condition.
- Excessive Dry Flakes: The dry white flakes that fall on the floor or on couch are again a sign of serious dandruff or seborrhea.
- Unpleasant Odor: Oily seborrhea or yeast build-up on the surface on skin can create extreme odors and it is one of the common symptoms of dandruff in dogs.
- Inflammation or Bumps: When dogs bite or rub the affected dry skin areas, it will be lead to inflammation such as redness or bumps. If you notice anything similar, it is time to treat it with best dog shampoo for dandruff.
- Thinning of Fur: When your pet dog shows signs of excessive fur loss, you should check the skin underneath to avoid further thinning of the external coat.
The fur and underlying skin in dogs are susceptible to various skin conditions including dry flakes or dandruff. Even when you wash and care regularly with better dog shampoos, it still can make it worse.
Finding the reasons why dogs have dandruff issues is important to treat them effectively. Here in this article, you will find 5 major reasons that cause dandruff in dogs.
Humidity And Extreme Weather: As with Humans, extreme weather conditions and humidity can affect your dogs leading to dry skin. This is the reason why you should conditioners in addition to mild natural dog shampoos. When the flakes get worse and you see visible patches or dandruff everywhere in your living room, you need to take effective measures to keep the room warm. Extreme heat in summer is equally harmful for your dog’s skin just as the winter. The reason is because low humidity in winter can make the skin dry and lose all its moisture. Dry skin will lead to itching and finally will turn into dry flakes causing extreme dandruff. If you are looking for natural remedies to ease its flakiness, you can try applying vitamin E rich oils. Besides that you can also look for best dog shampoo for dandruff that contains less chemicals and more natural ingredients.
Allergies: Dogs are susceptible to different kinds of allergies. It can include food allergies, allergies due to pollen, air borne allergies and even allergies due to harsh chemicals used in soaps and shampoos. Allergies can lead to redness or patches and often affect the external coat. If you find your dog reacting to a particular food or after bath using a specific product, you should get rid of it immediately. Also, maintaining proper diet and using anti-allergenic products can protect your dog from getting rashes and dry skin dandruff.
Dry Or Oily Seborrhea: Seborrhea is one of the common skin conditions you find in dogs that leads to dandruff. It can be either dry seborrhea or oily seborrhea. Compared to the dry condition where you can treat it simply with a dog dandruff shampoo, oily seborrhea needs more attention. Oily seborrhea can affect the dog’s skin making it waxy and oily with bad odors. There are specific products available that deals with the oily skin condition in dogs. If you find it severe, it is better to visit a vet and take medications along with the shampoos.
Poor Nutrition: Proper nutrition is necessary for dogs to stay active and immune to diseases. If you find your dog looks inactive, it could be due to poor diet and less water intake. Dog’s diet that lack in essential vitamins and minerals can lead to dry skin. Even less water intake can reduce the moisture in skin leading to dryness and itchiness. Try feeding your dog along with supplements that are rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Also, keep them hydrated and feed with healthy fats to retain the overall moisture content.
Fungal And Bacterial Infections: If your dog has a weak immune system or over exposed to conditions where it can develop bacterial and functional infections, you need to be watchful about its skin as it can lead to severe dandruff. The infections can create flaky skin, rough patches, bumps and even sometimes loss of coat. Fungal infections on the other hand will lead to excessive yeast growth on the skin. Though natural substances can reduce signs and symptoms, it is important that you find use dog dandruff shampoo that contains medicinal substances to treat bacterial or fungal infections.
Burt’s Bees All Natural Oatmeal Shampoo For Dogs
This is one of the best shampoos for dog dandruff that features natural oatmeal conditioner with colloidal oat flour and honey. It soothes and softens the canine’s fur and also conditions its dry skin and coat. Its oatmeal composition helps in rendering a smooth and soft feel for the pet. This shampoo is made of the highest quality ingredients and it’s very gentle on the dog’s skin. Some of its natural ingredients are honey, colloidal oatmeal and bees wax to handle the sensitive skin of the dogs.
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS — Burt's Bees Oatmeal Shampoo cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your dog's dry skin and coat
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS — This gentle formula includes ingredients like colloidal oatmeal, honey, and beeswax for sensitive skin
This shampoo has to get applied to the wet coat of the pet. It is important to work the shampoo from head to tail of the pet and rinse it carefully, avoiding contact with the eyes. This shampoo will only have a mild lather as it is made up of only natural formulas. This shampoo is suitable for all dogs and puppies and it is pH balanced, to render a gentle effect on the pet’s skin. The shampoo consists of a 100% veterinarian recommended formula. It is free of sulfates, colorants, fragrances and other harsh chemicals.
This product meets the natural standards laid by Burt’s bees and features the highest level of quality that the customers expect.
- Made with Nature’s finest ingredients
- 100% natural and free from harsh chemicals
- Suitable for dogs and puppies
- Free from chemicals and is pH balanced.
- Though the product is advertised as tearless, it is good to avoid contact with the eye while working it to lather.
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo
This dog dandruff shampoo is 100% pet friendly, bio degradable and is cruelty free. It is a soap free shampoo and is heavily scented to leave the pet smelling great all day long. This is a safe and gentle preparation and is extremely effective in preventing dandruff attack, fleas and itching in pet dogs. While using the preparation, it is important to avoid contact with the eyes. The product is solely intended for use on the skin and the coat of the pet dog.
The Earth Bath is a specially formulated oatmeal and aloe itch relief shampoo that addresses the needs of the dry and itchy skin of the pet efficiently. It is composed of oatmeal and organic Aloe Vera and thus helps in combating skin irritation, re-moisturizing the skin and deals with dry skin. It also helps to repair dry and damaged skin. It is pH balanced to clean and deodorize the coat of the pet completely, leaving it soft, plush and smelling better.
- Cleans and deodorizes the pet’s skin
- Vanilla and oatmeal fragrance.
- Leaves the pet’s coat and skin plush and soft
- Avoid contact with eyes
- The formula has to be kept away from the reach of children
Dog Shampoo For Smelly Puppy
Oatmeal and Aloe Pet Shampoo is one of the highly rated dog dandruff shampoos that you will look for in the pet market. Its high rating and low rate of product returns gets credit for its use of hypoallergenic ingredients. The ingredients such as Aloe will make your pet stay away from catching allergies. And the colloidal oatmeal used provides that additional moisture you look for in a dog dandruff shampoo. Other than pups and cats, you can use this shampoo to wash several other breeds of pets to remove unpleasant smell.
- UNLIKE MOST Oatmeal Dog Shampoo We Use More COLLOIDAL Oatmeal (Not Cheaper Less Effective Oatmeal Extract) Making Us The Best Dog Shampoo For Dry Itchy Skin
- DOG SHAMPOO FOR SMELLY DOGS: Grooming, whitening concentrate safely cleans your dirty, shedding puppy
If you are dealing with smelly pups or cats, this Oatmeal and Aloe pet shampoo will be your perfect choice. Using shampoos that humans use can go harsh on your dog. This is why you need a perfect formula where the healing power of Aloe does all the wonders. One of the highlighting factors about this shampoo is that you can use it both pups and cats. It is free from sulfates, parabens and other similar toxins making it completely free from allergens. Unlike other oatmeal based shampoos which use cheaper extracts, here you will find colloidal oatmeal formula for superior protection from itchiness.
- Best Choice for smelly pups and cats
- Uses colloidal oatmeal instead of cheaper extracts
- Hypoallergenic makes it suitable for puppies.
- Perfectly balanced Ph formula to suit different skin types
- Healing power of Aloe can reduce inflammation faster
- Extremely concentrated and it needs to be diluted
Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo For Dogs
Pet MD is a medicated shampoo that is 100% free from alcohol. Though shampoos made of natural ingredients are less harsh, only medicated shampoos can offer complete relief for your pet dog. This made in USA product is perfectly tasted from independent labs for its performance and quality. Every ingredient that you see in the label graphics of Pet MD will work directly on your pet dog’s fungal and bacterial infections. One of the key components that maintain Ph balance in your dog dandruff shampoo is the salicylic acid.
- Relief of Scaling and Itching from Demodectic Mange (Demodex) Caused by Mites, Dermatitis, Skin Infections and Follicular Plugging to Stop Scratcting and Pain.
- Antiseptic, Antibacterial and Antifungal for Relieving Dry Itchy and Irritated Skin and Pyoderma.
This is one of the best dog shampoos for dandruff that vets themselves recommend. It is important to keep the shampoo away from the reach of children, if swallowed accidentally the physician has to be consulted immediately.
- Shampoo approved and recommended by Vets
- Nourishes and hydrates the skin
- Removes dandruff and leaves the pet’s skin soft and shiny
- No cons!
Arava Natural Medicated Shampoo
This is a premium dog shampoo that features a unique and soothing formula with 100% dog ingredients. This therapeutic formulation is effective in treating the skin infections and inflammations of the pet dog. This shampoo is formulated from premium sea minerals and constitutes more than 28 natural ingredients. This is one of the best dog shampoos for dandruff and is based on a pet friendly formula that cleanses the dog deep within its skin, at the follicle level. The shampoo also ensures that the pet’s fur remains beautiful and shiny and free from any dandruff. This is a perfect formulation for pets with dry skin.
- DEAD SEA MINERALS – Formulated with premium Dead Sea minerals, Arava Therapeutic shampoo is perfect for treating skin problems and irritations including hot spots, infections and inflammation. Contains 28 natural ingredients.
- DEEP, POWERFUL CLEANSE– The Arava Bio-Care formula is a pet-friendly formula that gently cleanse deep within your dog’s undercoat to enrich the follicles, making the fur more beautiful, shiny and without dandruff. Perfect for dogs with dry skin!
The shampoo has been scientifically proven to treat dermatological conditions, and helps in healing abrasions, hot spots, scrapes, dandruff, ringworm and seborrhea. With regular use, it renders the skin of the pet clean and healthy. Its ingredients include anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-yeast oils that help in healing most of the fungal and bacterial infections of the pets. Its silky and moisturizing formula is safe for both dogs and puppies and the pets will love the odor of the essential oils packed in the shampoo.
- Chemical free dog shampoo under FDA guidelines
- Made of 28 natural ingredients and essential oils
- Treats a number of dermatological conditions apart from dandruff
- Ideal for puppies and also dogs
- The shampoo is of a very thick concentration and some users may have to thin it down with water before use
WetNozelHealth Salmon Oil
Pet dandruff shampoo helps in eliminating the ticks and fleas off their fur skin and also leaves behind a pleasant smell on their skin. It helps in minimizing one important problem with the pet skin, namely itching and dandruff. But not all pet cooperates well for bathing, no matter how good the bath is and how pleasant the dog dandruff shampoo is. So it is important to reward them adequately before and after the bath, so that they do not create any trouble during the act. Soft chews are something pets love at all times and could be excellent rewards during bath time.
- POWERFUL OMEGA BLEND - This powerful veterinary approved antioxidant blend of OMEGA 3 6 and 9 is packed full of EPA and DHA essential fatty acids. This dog vitamin is custom made with SALMON OIL, PRIMROSE and SUNFLOWER OIL and ORGANIC TURMERIC - all the support your dog needs in handy bite-sized chews.
- SOURCED FROM SALMON OIL - Omega 3 in most dog supplements is sourced from general fish or plant oil. Our exclusive formula offers one of the only canine omega 3 soft chew sourced from salmon oil, and the only one combined with TURMERIC, for the best anti-inflammatory and joint health care benefits.
The Salmon Oil Omega 3 soft chews with organic turmeric is an excellent soft chew that dogs would love. This product is a powerful blend of anti-oxidants, omega 3, 6 and 9 acids and is packed with DHA and essential fatty acids. It consists of essential dog vitamins and is of salmon oil, sunflower oil, primrose and organic turmeric. These chews are sourced from salmon oil and are sourced from general plant or fish oil. Apart from serving as soft chews, the product also renders the best anti-inflammatory and joint care benefits.
- Boosts Immune system
- Delicious chicken and bacon flavours
- Renders a healthy skin, hair and coat
- Dogs will ask more and more of the chews though more than 6 are not recommended.
Pet Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo And Conditioner
This is one of the best dog shampoos for dandruff that is composed of organic oatmeal, aloe vera and baking soda. This shampoo is proven to render excellent and instant itch relief. This pet wash shampoo is great for cats and dogs that are prone to sensitivity. This formula is proven to be beneficial against hot spots and itching as well. This shampoo formula is not only deodorizing, but also smells great on the pet. It leaves a light and a tender oatmeal cookie scent on the pet that is long lasting. This product has been recommended for large and small cats and dogs and has been in use for years by professional groomers.
- COMPREHENSIVE ANTI ITCH FORMULA: Natural oatmeal, baking soda, and aloe vera based pet shampoo with coconut provides instant itch relief! Our revolutionary pet wash was specially formulated with cats and dogs with sensitive skin and coats in mind, providing relief from hot-spots and itching, approved for guinea pigs as well
- VET ENDORSED & SMELLS INCREDIBLE: The light yet amazing oatmeal cookie scent is the long lasting way to eliminate odor. Vet formulated specifically for large or small dogs and cats. This is THE SECRET of some leading professional groomers
As it is made of natural ingredients, it is proven to be beneficial in fighting against allergies. Its hypoallergenic conditioner lotion consists of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, thus protecting the pet from allergies and itching fleas. Its plant derived ingredients are gentle on the pet, especially on the nose and paw and renders a lasting moisturizing effect as well along with anti-dandruff properties. The product can be combined with the premium pet anti itch and scent freshener spay, which could be used in between baths.
- Stops itching in pets, so that it feels best at all times
- Makes the pet smell amazing
- 100% natural ingredients
- Detergent free and alcohol free
- 100% hypoallergenic
- Safe for the pet, humans and the planet
- Smells like vanilla cake and some pets might not find this flavor much appealing.
Vanilla Oatmeal Dog Shampoo With Aloe Vera
This vanilla oatmeal dog shampoo with Aloe Vera is recommended by Veterinarians for dogs and puppies to help them fight itching and dandruff. It has a very pleasant fragrance of lavender and vanilla that pets would love and it also helps in rendering a calming effect on the minds and spirits of the pet. Apart from making the pup smell fresh, it also helps in repelling bugs such as ticks and fleas, off the fur of the pet. This dog dandruff shampoo also behaves as a natural insect repellent and is absolutely tear free. The formula helps in promoting healthy skin in pets and also thoroughly moisturizes the pet’s skin. The scent of the formula works actively to eliminate insects such as ticks and mites from the dog’s skin.
- COLLOIDAL OATMEAL nourishes sensitive dog skin moisturizing the skin while promoting clean fur. It helps to combat painful skin irritants without irking sensitive skin. Our formula is ultra hydrating.
- ENRICHED WITH VANILLA & LAVENDER this shampoo wards off ticks and fleas naturally. It works to protect the skin irritants & helps heal bites. It is a maximum strength odor remover for that dog smell.
The shampoo makes use of a colloidal oatmeal base along with vanilla, Aloe Vera and lavender. Thus the product leaves behind a good smelling and well-groomed dog without leaving behind dry and sensitive skin. The formula leaves the dog soft without any itching and pain. Apart from soothing the skin and depleting itching, it also leaves the pet shiny and cleansed without minimal shedding.
- Natural ingredients and safe for sensitive skin
- Tear less cleaning
- Insect repellent – effective against flea and ticks
- Lavender and vanilla leaves a calm and fresh scent
- It does not kill fleas
- The volume of the product is 8 ounce
Friends Forever Natural Dog Shampoo
Those who want to restore your pet dog’s natural glam then go for – 100% organic “Friends forever”. Its hypoallergenic formulation makes them best for the ultra sensitive little ones at your home. Along with aloe Vera and oatmeal, it reduces inflammation and helps in quicker healing and keeps your pets happy & irritation free. Natural fragrance ingredients like tea seed oil and lavenders adds extra boost to your loved ones.
- ANTI ITCH: Organic Coconut based conditioner soap lotion - Our pet wash provides relief from hot-spot for dogs with sensitive skin & coat.
- PREVENT ALLERGY: All natural hypoallergenic shampoos with itch relief treatment - Best products protect your doggie from itching yeast & allergies.
The coconut extract with flax seed provides adequate moisture and keeps those furs for softer and scalp free from dandruff and dry skin. The rosemary extract fights with the fungus causing dandruff and sooth those itch. The chamomile extracts gives your pretty ones extra shine and smoothness. Bonus! Chamomile works best with all ages, from your little young ones to your wise older ones, because when it comes to beauty age shouldn’t matter. The anti oxidant property of its ingredients makes your pets skin lot healthier. As the name suggests, it will be your pet’s friendly shampoo forever which makes your petting experience lot enjoyable.
- Lasting scent makes the environment pleasant and enjoyable.
- Frizzy free formulation.
- No harmful chemicals. Hence no side effects while handling.
- Contains natural ingredients like coconut extract, tea seed oil, and flax seed oil.
- Might now suit for too sensitive skin
Curaseb Benzoyl Peroxide Dog Shampoo
Though this product, Curaseb Benzoyl Peroxide Dog Shampoo, is made of chemical agents it is completely safe, both, you and your pets. It is produced some of the active ingredients such as Curabenz and yet not so expensive compared to other popular brands available It is specifically formulated to avoid alterations of the skins natural pH. It is anti-microbial and much safer for your sensitive pet dog.
- RELIEVES SCRATCHING & SCALING FROM DEMODECTIC MANGE, SEBORRHEA, PYODERMA, MITES & ACNE: Benzoyl Peroxide, Sulfur & Salicylic Acid Combine to Create a Super Effective AntiMicrobial Shampoo that Treats a Broad Spectrum of Skin Related Problems in both Dogs & Cats
- DEODORIZES & GENTLY FLUSHES PORES AND HAIR FOLLICLES: Our Veterinary Recommended Shampoo Will Penetrate Deep Into Pores and Hair Follicles Removing Excess Oil, Debris, Bacteria & Yeast While Leaving Behind a Pleasant and Refreshing Citrus Scent
It also serves as a healthy treatment against allergies, shedding, flaky and dry skin and helps in restoring the natural shine to all dog coats. It also helps to boost the immune system of the pets making it the best dog shampoo for dandruff. Besides that, the pleasant and refreshing citrus flavor will delight pets further.
Before using the shampoo on the pet, its fur has to be flushed thoroughly with clean water. Then the shampoo has to be worked into a rich lather on the fur for a few minutes and rinsed thoroughly with water again.
- Best product to alleviate deep infections and acne
- Vet recommended for safety
- Minimum amount of shampoo needed.
- Works better only when it is used twice.
If your pet dog suffers from simple dandruff that is secondary to minor bacterial infection or dry skin, the treatment is simple and straightforward. Treatment should focus on using the best dog dandruff shampoo that eliminates dandruff in dogs.
It is not a wise idea to use anti dandruff shampoos used by humans on the pet as the pH of the skin of humans is different from that of the pet. These products will only end up exacerbating the existing problem rather than solving it.
The dandruff shampoo should contain the best ingredients for moisturizing the skin of the pet and also contain medications that prevent relapse along with enhancing the health of the pet’s skin. It should be free from harsh chemicals and should be capable of treating the underlying scalp issues completely, preventing relapse. Look for the following ingredients in the dog dandruff shampoo for optimal results.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: This is an anti-bacterial agent that is effective in killing the bacteria that causes skin infections in the pet. Also, it helps in exfoliating the skin and opening the clogged pores to eliminate accumulated waste via sweat.
- Salicylic Acid: Salicylic acid is effective in opening the clogged skin pores. It also creates an anti-inflammatory effect when applied topically as its action is similar to aspirin. Apart from eliminating dandruff, this product also helps to soothe the skin of the dog.
- Sulfur: Sulfur is a special ingredient that helps in treating pets and humans who suffer from skin conditions. It also renders a number of antifungal and antibacterial properties and also helps in exfoliating the skin. Sulfur is also beneficial in killing a number of skin mites that get entangled in the pet’s hair. The pungent odor of sulfur is covered by the fragrances that are inherent to specific dog dandruff shampoo brands.
- Coal Tar: Some of the best dog dandruff shampoos contain coal tar as it is beneficial is removing dead skin cells from the dog’s skin. It is also beneficial in reducing the itchiness that is associated with dandruff and dry skin. Coal tar also reduces the rate at which the skin cells grow, thus preventing the dog’s skin from getting scaly.
It is important to completely avoid shampoos that contain dyes and colorants as these are linked with serious health problems. Avoid shampoos that have perfumes and fragrances that are chemical derivatives.
Finding a solution to treat dog dandruff does not stop with identifying your best dog shampoo for dandruff brand. Educating yourself with different causes that can aggravate the dandruff issue is also crucial. We have listed some of the best dog dandruff shampoos available in the market based on extensive research and review knowledge. However, it is must for you to identify the product that suits your pet dog’s skin condition. Keep hydrated, condition after shampooing; provide proper diet to maintain healthy skin and coat and pick a dog dandruff shampoo from the above reviewed list to make petting joyful.