Why leave your canine friends alone for traveling when you can take them along? It feels like a joke, right but now it isn’t! It is possible now to carry your pets anywhere you want. You don’t have to bear the pain to be away from your dear dogs with technology and innovation. Keep reading to find the best solutions.
Pets are like family, so leaving them can be heartbreaking. These modern-day carriers have made our wish come true. You can now carry your pets in planes with these beautifully designed airline dog carriers.
Before buying these for your beloved dog, you should know certain crucial things. Let us have a look at them.
Benefits of an Airline Carrier
A comfortable and cozy carrier is essential for your air travel. An airline-approved carrier has plenty of benefits. Some of the most important ones are:-
- These are extensively portable and handy, easily fitting under the seats. You can always keep a check on your dog and its activities.
- A safe, relaxing, and ventilated space for your dog. Your dog will feel at home and protected when placed in a carrier.
- It has sufficient space to carry all your essential requirements for the dog. You don’t have to search everywhere for your dog’s supplements or food.
There are many more points that will make you realize the ease of traveling with a carrier. Make your trips exciting and not tiring!
Types of Airline Carriers
There are mainly three different types of dog carriers in the market. It is needed that you have all the relevant information to provide an appropriate carrier to your pup.
- Hard-Sided Dog Carrier
These are better-termed travel dog kennels or hard dog carriers. These are strong and durable dog carriers that keep your safe pet inside. A mid-sized dog or your puppies can easily remain comfortably in these carriers.
- Soft-Sided Dog Carrier
These are much lighter and easier to carry. If you have a newborn dog or a puppy, then you can use this carrier appropriately. However, these are unfit for dogs who will try to escape by chewing. They are highly portable and are best for short travels.
- Dog Backpack Carriers
These carriers are also portable and helpful options to carry your dog. Such carriers are appropriate for your puppies or mid-sized dogs. An attractive feature of it is that your pet can witness the views while you travel.
- Sling Dog Carriers
These are best for your little puppy. These are light and user-friendly, allowing you to keep an eye on your pet. However, these are a little dangerous when you are walking fast or when you are in a hurry.
There are certain things we need to keep in mind before buying airline dog carriers. Some of the important ones are:-
- Ventilation– Ventilation is one of the most prime components. It is very crucial to check the amount of ventilation of the carrier. Carriers with a good amount of ventilation are essential for the dog. Air circulations are very important so that your dog doesn’t feel sick or suffocated.
- Size of your dog– One of the first steps is to know your dog’s measurements. Otherwise, a wrong size carrier may cause a lot of problems and finally be a waste. So buy the airline carrier as per the size of your dog.
- Dimensions– Before buying a carrier, you should check its dimensions. Since the airline policies are not the same for all, you should check them as per your need. Airplane size differs and also the space under the seat, therefore ensure before you buy.
- Pockets– These are helpful when you are traveling long distances. You may want to carry some supplies or food for your dog; these are super handy in that case. So look for pockets in your carrier before buying them.
- Quality- Dogs are unpredictable when they are locked somewhere. So to avoid problems, buy a hardy and robust carrier. They might attempt to claw or bite; therefore, you have to make sure that the material is rugged and durable.
Tips for flights with your dog
If you are inexperienced in flying with your dog in an airline, the process can be bone-breaking. However, a little practice and knowledge can help you. Read the following tips to make your travel fun.
- Read your airline’s policies: Though most of the airlines have similar policies, it is necessary to know them well. Also, book your ticket early, since airlines allow a small number of dogs only. So read the policies well.
- Take your dog to the veterinarian: Before you go for an adventure with your dog, a check-up is essential. Your pup should be healthy without any illness and also ensure that it is vaccinated. Also, carry a health certificate as some airlines do ask for them.
- Be ready for the security check: You will need to take out your dog from the carrier at the checkpoints. So be prepared with all necessary documents beforehand.
- Positive attitude: A smiling face can do miracles. Try to relax your dog and also reward them for behaving correctly to reduce anxiety and nervousness.
7 Best Airlines Approved Dog Carriers
With nearly a thousand options available in the market, anyone is likely to get confused. So to make your work easier, we have listed the seven best options you should check out.
Mr. Peanuts Airline Approved Soft Sided Pet Carrier
This soft-sided black carrier is a lightweight yet durable one. It is small and can be easily kept beneath the seat in front of you in the airplane. The product offers a good amount of ventilation for your dog inside.
It has a weight of 2.7lbs which is an appropriate weight for air travel. This model is also easy to carry in cars as they are compatible with your car belts. It fits dogs up to 15lbs. The carrier has breathable mesh on all sides, and the shoulder strap is padded for easier carrying.
It has several pockets for supplements or medicines for your dog. It is a brown and black color carrier which looks beautiful. This product is one of the most highly valued ones and will give a seamless travel experience.
- It has dimensions 11”*10.5”*18”, big enough for small and medium-sized dogs.
- It has a removable fleece travel bed which makes it very cozy and relaxing for your dog.
- It has mesh on all sides, which is durable and allows air circulation.
- It has several compartments and a solid strap to ensure durability.
- It has a name tag holder, which helps you locate your pet quickly.
- Well Ventilated
- Easy to carry
- Excellent Quality
- Unfit for large or heavy dogs
- Small and less spacious.
Amazon Basics Soft-Sided Pet Travel Carrier
This is one of the most astonishing and stylish airline carriers for your dog. It is black with a beautiful appearance. It is best suited for medium or small dogs. It has adjustable handles to facilitate portability.
This product is washable so that you can cleanse it anytime. It is recommended for dogs up to a weight of 16lbs. It can easily fit under the seat without any difficulty. It has sturdy zippers to resist the movement of the dog.
Allows a good amount of ventilation for its mesh sides and also has a stylish look. It has a removable base insert to make your carrier sturdy. You can choose the measurements of the carrier according to the size of your dog.
- The product’s dimensions are 16.5*9.4*9.8 inches, which is pretty much easy to carry.
- It weighs7.3 kg and can carry loads up to 16lbs.
- The mesh panels offer good ventilation.
- It has an adjustable handle along with two connecting loops for better grip.
- Easy to carry
- Attractive design
- Less secure
- Slightly heavy
- Too small
Sinton 4 Sides Expandable Pet Carrier
The Sinton 4 Sides Expandable Pet Carrier is an airline-approved carrier with unique features. It is grey with a tinge of black, giving it a beautiful look. It is a hard-sided carrier that is sturdy and durable.
It can be expanded from four sides to make it even more significant. It has vast space, recommended for medium as well as large dogs. It is highly safe for your dog due to its robust material. It can carry a load of 14lbs.
It is washable and can be carried anywhere you want. The product is huge and will enable your pet to relax inside it. It allows an incredible amount of air circulation due to its mesh bags. It is foldable, which enables greater portability.
- The product’s dimensions are 18*11*11 inches and expand up to 38*30*11 inches.
- It has a unique four side’s expansion feature, which provides spacious space for your pet.
- Due to the ample area, it allows your dog to move around, thus reducing suffocation and anxiety.
- It has several side pockets to carry your dog’s favorite items.
- It has sturdy metal hooks in the straps and an additional clip, ensuring the best security.
- Best for small or medium-sized dogs
- Foldable and expandable
- High Protection
- Not durable
- Not applicable for large-sized dogs
- Slightly big
Sherpa Travel Backpack Pet Carrier Airline Approved Pet Carrier
Carry your dogs to your adventures easily with this fantastic product by Sherpa. It is obtainable in several sizes to provide variety. It is a perfect piece to carry your pet with you for air travel.
The carrier has mesh panels ensuring a large amount of ventilation. It is soft and cozy for your dog, making it enjoyable for them. It has adjustable handles for effective traveling.
It is highly recommended for larger-sized dogs up to a weight of 22 pounds. It is a sturdy and rigid carrier for your dogs. It has large-sized pockets to hold your pet’s requirements.
- It has a spring wire frame which enables you to push it under the seats.
- It has dimensions of 19.37*13.11*4.29 inches.
- It has openings on two of its sides to facilitate easier entry of the pet.
- Padded straps with a strong base make it durable and hard.
- It can be easily cleaned or washed.
- Good for large-sized dogs
- High security
- Not user-friendly
Gen7 Compact Roller Pet Carrier
Walk-in style with this dog carrier on wheels. It is innovative and beautifully designed. It will surely fascinate all dog parents due to its marvelous quality. This carrier is very easy to use since you can wheel your dog anywhere without any stress.
It has mesh on two sides, allowing airflow and gives a relaxing feeling to your dog. Its interiors are padded to provide complete security to your dog.
You have two other size options of the product; choose as per your need. It can carry a maximum weight of up to 10lbs, perfect for your small dogs. There are side pockets for carrying different other stuff.
- The unique feature is that it can be easily converted into a backpack in rough areas or stairs.
- The carrier has measurements of 10.5*16.5*19 inches.
- It is best suited for small dogs allowing a comfortable space.
- It is very convenient and mobile due to its wheels.
- Easy to carry
- Good Quality
- Not durable
- Difficult to use
- Unfit for medium or large-sized dogs
Sturdibag Extra Large Flexible Pet Carrier
This is a tested and verified product with high ratings. This product can easily carry a load of 50lbs, being suitable for your heavy and small dogs. It is black with a mesh panel on one side for ventilation.
When it’s time to board the flight, it easily fits under the seats without any difficulty. It is highly durable and robust for your airline travels. It is big enough to provide a comfortable space for your dog.
You can buy the carrier in different measurements according to your needs. It has retractable flaps on all sides to facilitate easy carrying. The product is light and portable, giving you a great traveling experience.
- It is suitable for medium or even large and heavy dogs, as it can carry up to 50lbs.
- The product has dimensions of 20×12×16 inches providing, ample cozy space for the dog.
- It can be easily placed under the seats and is light.
- It is strong and has retracted flaps on all sides for better safety.
- It has a washable fleece bed extensively relaxing for your pet.
- Hard and strong
- High Protection
- Difficult to carry
Sleepypod Air in-Cabin Pet Carrier
It is a revolutionary product to give a wonderful feeling to your adventurous pet. It can be obtained in three different shades, including light and bold colors It is highly flexible and portable.
This product can be compressed from 22 inches to 19 inches for your requirements. It is durable and resistant to chewing. It has seatbelt straps on two of its sides to enhance your journey.
It can be taken along with the trolley effortlessly with the help of a trolley pocket. It can be expanded and stretched so that the dog is warm and cozy within the carrier. It is a beautiful choice for your puppies or moderate size dogs.
- It can maintain a load of 17 pounds or less.
- It had large pockets on both sides to carry your pet’s requirements.
- The dimensions of the product are 22×10.5×10.
- It has straps on both sides to provide complete security to your dog.
- These carriers can be bathed whenever you want without any worry of damage.
- Hard and durable
- High Safety
- Less Ventilated
The products given above are some of the best ones to select from. Each one has its unique features along with its pros and cons. So choose an appropriate carrier for your friend and explore the world together.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many pets are allowed in a single aircraft?
The number is different for different airline policies. Most of the airlines approximately allow five or six dogs on board. The numbers can change from time to time as per the airline policies.
- 2. What should be the minimum age of the dog for flying?
Your dog must be more than eight weeks old and healthy. However, some airlines may allow only 15 weeks and older dogs, according to the policies. They should be weaned adequately before traveling with the airlines.
- What type of flight is suitable for my dog?
When traveling with your pet, try to book direct flights. This will reduce the time of travel, avoiding any health issues of your pet. It is better to take evening flights rather than afternoon ones as the temperature is lower.
- What are the steps I should follow at the checking time?
Be prepared with your dog beforehand. You will have to walk through the security check with your dog. The carrier will be x-rayed, so be ready earlier.
- What if my pet feels anxious?
Try to maintain a light mood with your pet. Reward them with their favorite items so that they can be calm. Take proper care to make them feel less anxious.
Flying with your dog in an airplane appears stressful. With these beautiful and effectively designed airline carriers, traveling with your dog is fun. It is no more a nightmare but an adventurous trip. However, before you buy a carrier, keep in mind the essential points, and choose cautiously. Reading your airline policies should be your first step, and be well prepared. Choose your best option and hit the Buy button now!